Child Protection for Volunteers and Helpers
Time & Location
About the Event
Organisation safeguarding requirements tend to focus on staff. Yet many organisations working with children and young people are significantly reliant on volunteers and helpers. Whilst our legislative guidance may make a distinction between staff and volunteers, the reality is child safety concerns do not. Whether in direct or non-direct child facing positions, it is important for all to receive some form of safeguarding and child protection training.
However, from a practical perspective, it can be challenging for short-term volunteers or helpers to access training. Whilst they need some awareness training, they do not necessarily require the same level as being accessed by other personnel. They can also often struggle to access week day training. Problem solved, this online safeguarding and child protection class is tailored to short-term volunteers and helpers. Delivery is online and has been condensed to 1.5hrs. Course times are either early evenings or weekends. You are viewing our early evening option. Click here to see our Saturday option.
We define a short-term volunteer or helper as someone supporting an organisation for an event(s) or a limited number of hours/days under a month’s timeframe. In addition to the below knowledge and skills focus, this online class will also help volunteers and helpers understand:
- The common and best practice safeguards that organisations may require of a volunteer and/or helper, e.g. Police Check requests, etc.
- What organisational safeguards volunteers and helpers should expect, and how these can assist them with their safeguarding responsibilities and in keeping to safe practice.
This engaging and informative, 1.5hr online class, focuses on guiding volunteers and helpers through the key knowledge and skills needed to support them in:
- Understanding the difference between safeguarding and child protection.
- Identifying the different categories of abuse and possible physical and behavioural indicators.
- Recognising the different types of disclosures and knowing how to respond safely.
- Reporting and recording any possible safeguarding and child protection concerns whether related to a child and/or staff.
- Demonstrate safeguarding as a shared workforce responsibility.
Who is this class for?
This class is suitable for short-term volunteers or helpers - those supporting an organisation for an event(s) or a limited number of hours/days under a month’s timeframe.
For volunteers or helpers supporting organisations for more than a month or on a regular basis (irrelevant of hours), or who are likely to return to the organisation at phased stages throughout the year; it is best practice for them to access the same safeguarding and child protection learning as organisational staff. For longer-term volunteers, helpers or staff, our eLearning courses, could be a suitable alternative safeguarding and child protection training option.
Upon completion, all Learners will receive their Personal Certificate of Attendance. To help further evidence Continued Professional Development, all our certificates quote the course time (1.5 hours) and the course aim and learning objectives.
If your organisation would like to register a few staff for this course and would prefer to receive an invoice, we can arrange that for you. Please contact us on 022 394 0619 or email us at - email@example.com to arrange group registrations.
- Child Protection - Volunteers$30$300$0